I am a wife and a mother of three.

30/05/2015

LESLEY JONES

AUTHOR INTERVIEW
WITH 
LESLEY JONES
PLEASE WELCOME THE BRILLIANT LESLEY JONES.
 
Hi Lesley,Tell us a little about yourself?
I’m a married mum of three boys. I was born and grew up in Essex, England but moved with my family to Australia in 2006. We now live about 50k outside of Melbourne

How would you describe your books?
Hot, angsty, highly emotional, realistic with a dash of humor.

What genre is your work mainly? Do you tend to stay in the same vein or are you hoping ( if not already) to explore new ventures?

No, adult contemporary is my thing. It’s what I like to read and it’s what I like to write. I’ve never had any desire to write a children’s book, or anything para or dystopian.

Can you Share with us a quote from one of your favorite characters?

“What we’ve got, blows all of the others out of the fuckin water. Romeo and Juliet, Bonnie and Clyde, Sandy and Danny, even Baby and Jonny, they can’t touch us. They couldn’t write our story, what we have, there aren’t even words to describe it.”
Sean McCarthy. Carnage ©


Is it hard to come up with new idea's or plot's?
Not so far. I have about four going around 
in my head right now.

How long does it take you to complete a finished book?


About 6 months.
Who is the easiest character to write for and why? 
Hardest and why?

Women are easy, probably because I am one. Hardest, hmmm? I don’t really find any of them hard. I come from a big family so there’s always someone I can draw from to create a character.


Without giving anything away,what is or are your favourite scenes in your book?

I enjoy the emotional stuff as much as I enjoy the funny stuff. I’m generally grinning like a loon, or crying my eyes out as I type. I just love to write.
What's up next for you?

Well Conviction is out the 3rd of March but I’ve already started writing Marley’s book and The Letters, which will be a novella of Sean’s letters to G, during their time apart.



Do you have any hobbies?

I like to read. I walk, watch my son play football. I’m a pretty sociable person and enjoy a glass of wine.
Is there anyone besides you in your family who writes?
No, just me.
When did you start.What was your first published piece?
I started writing in 2011 but didn’t actually get around to publishing anything until 2013. My first book was Saviour, followed by Resolution.
Do you have any favorite books or authors?
My favorite books are The Little Match Girl, To Kill A Mockingbird, Rebecca. The Gabriel’s Inferno series and Arsen. I don’t really have a favorite author, I love the classics right alongside modern day authors and I discover new writers weekly.
Out of all the books and stories you've written which is your favorite?
Saviour will always hold a special place in my heart, because it got me through a tough time, but I also love Carnage because of the reactions it evoked in people. In saying that, I think that Conviction is my best piece of writing so far.
Do you have a favorite character?
Probably Georgia. I deliberately made her hard to love and I put her through so much. I just loved the way she grew and evolved. I love her strength of character. She knew she was a Princess and she wore her crown with pride. She’s possibly the strongest fictional character I’ve ever come across. She’s an Essex girl, a born survivor.
What are your favorite movies?
Grease… Sad but true… When A Man Loves A Woman. The Shaw Shank Redemption. The Help. Rock and Roller. Hocus Pocus. The Goonies. Finding Nemo
How long have you been writing?

Just over 2 years.
Who or what has been your biggest literary influence?

Life.

How Difficult is it for you to come up with one of your brilliant plots?

It’s not. They just sort of happen.
How about characters? Are they easily born and developed?
Yep. I start with one or two, I let them tell me their story and then they let me know when they need a friend or family member.
Have you ever trashed a novel or story before or after finishing it, feeling it wasn't
 turning out as you planned?

No, not yet.
Any funny experiences or quirks you'd like to share with your readers?
I was once pulled over by the police for speeding, while wearing nothing but a Basque, hold up stockings and a pair of killer heels… And the policeman made me get out of the car to confirm the speed on his dash cam. The whole thing was witnessed by a Roo and her Joey.
I’m scared of any insects with wings. When I say scared, I mean I actually have to pull the car over if a fly gets in. Australia probably wasn’t the best choice for me. Thank goodness for climate control.
Which one of your books would you like to see made into a movie?

Carnage 1&2 would make brilliant films, I think.
What is your favorite band or artist?
I love music, all music. My current favorites are Ed Sheeran, Vance Joy, Paloma Faith and Kendrick Lamar. All of books have a Spotify playlist linked to them.
What was  it like to publish your first book?

I was absolutely clueless. It didn’t even have a cover for the first two weeks. I had no street team, I knew nothing about blogs, I just wrote a book and uploaded the file. No editing, no formatting, nothing.
What advice would you give to others who want to make writing their career?
Just start writing and don’t stop.
Do you ever get ideas at random moments, and if so how do you hang on to them?
I do. Sitting in the hairdressers, watching a game of football. Conviction came to me in the shower, while listening to Ed Sheeran’s album Multiply for the first time. I heard Nina and had to get out and start writing my ideas down in notes on my phone. It’s where I keep all of my ideas. I currently have 25 pages of ideas, songs, phrases and random thoughts that all mean something to only me.
How do you overcome writers block and do you have a special place you like to write?
I’ve yet to experience writers block. I have the opposite problem, the voices just don’t shut up for me. I can’t write anywhere, as long as it’s not at a desk and there has to be silence.
Can you write on demand and under pressure, or do you need time and space before the creativity starts to flow?
I can write on demand but I think I write my best when I’m given space.
Who or what was the inspiration  behind your books?
It can come from anywhere, a news story, a conversation, a song, all combined with life experience

No comments:

Post a Comment